12.12.2006

Personality Tests!

It seems that several of my friends on Facebook (not to be confused with "Facebook friends") have been dabbling in personality tests recently. I always find personality profiles interesting, although I have tended to be a bit skeptical of them since one of my undergrad professors administered a "personality test" to our class: She had us choose which variety of Hershey's Miniature candy bar we preferred, and then described the personality supposedly corresponding to each candy bar; she had most of the class agreeing that the assessments were reasonably accurate before she told us that she had made up the entire thing.

I do recognize, though, that personality profiles can sometimes be helpful. When I worked at a camp during the summer of 2005, each staff member completed a personality profile at the beginning of the summer. Knowing people's personality types in advance was, at times, very helpful in understanding where they were coming from! (That personality profile had four types: Analytical, Driver, Expressive, and Amiable. I'm an Analytical.) Of course, personality profiles are limited by how well-worded the questions are and by how accurately an individual answers them; and, as I was warned at camp, personality types are not excuses for any particular behavior.

Anyway, I quickly completed a Jung Typology Test earlier today. Unfortunately, however, I failed to save my results, so I quickly repeated the test this evening. It seems as though I've had a slight personality change since this morning; originally, I was an INTJ. Now, however, I am an ISTJ (strength of preferences 89%, 1%, 100%, and 56%, respectively). The latter result puts me in company with such fictional characters as Eeyore and Puddleglum.

Which type am I really? I may take the test again and go with best two out of three... Really, parts of the description for each type describe me pretty accurately--those are probably the parts associated with I, T, and J, since I am neither strongly intuitive nor strongly sensing. (At least, I don't think I am. Let me know if your assessment of my personality is different.)

2 comments:

Becca said...

Well, with your preference between the N and the S only coming in at 1% it's easy to see how you could be toggling between the two. My J was 1% too, so I guess it's a little weak. No doubting you're a T though! I took the test twice and came out exactly the same, numbers and all. Of course, the questions I would have been close on I had thought out carefully the first time and usually remembered my reasoning the second time. Does that make me INFJ and OCD?

Becca said...

Good point about personality types not being an excuse, BTW.