1.08.2006

Till We Have Faces

I stayed up late last night to finish reading C.S. Lewis's Till We Have Faces. It's a novel based on the myth of Cupid and Psyche and is told from the viewpoint of Orual, the ugly older sister of the beautiful Psyche. The book is Orual's complaint against the gods for what she perceives as their cruel treatment of her. Although not specifically a "Christian" work, it presents a scarily accurate portrait of human nature, especially in displaying Orual's selfishness (masquerading as love) and her attitude toward the gods.

One of my favorite phrases from the book: "I was with book, as a woman is with child."

1 comment:

Becca said...

Huh. That's the second endorsement of the book from a good friend I've come across in very short time. It's next on my list. I just need to find a copy. It sounds like an excellent read.